Monday, January 4, 2010

Your Dad's Captain America

I just read on /film that Albert Pyun's Captain America (1990) is available to watch in full on Hulu. Hulu's description of this movie is as follows:

Superhero foils Red Skull and saves the president.

That sounds about right.

Although this version of Captain America doesn't have the best reputation among superhero-action film aficionados, it nevertheless played a pivotal role in my early perception of America's most patriotic of masked vigilantes. I remember watching this old movie with Keanu as a child and thinking that it was awesome. Of course, I may not think so now if I watched it again (which I will tonight). But I think it's important to remember that comic books have undergone a huge transformation in the past century. This film is a but a landmark on this long road.

You can watch Captain America in full below.




UPDATE:

Thanks to Albert Pyun, the man himself, for directing me to this interview about Captain America... where can I sign the petition?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the kind mention and I'm glad you enjoyed the film when you were a kid. The film wasn't one of my shining moments (not that I have had a lot) but the released version wasn't really my cut. I have copy of my cut which I think would be more satisfying that I might post online as a comparison. If you check out my facebook page it'll have info about it. There's also, I think some links to interviews I did concerning Captain America.

Again, thanks for the mention.

Best,
Albert Pyun
Albert Pyun Movies / Facebook
www.talesofanancientempire.com
www.roadtohellmovie.com

Casey said...

Hey Albert,

Thanks for reading! You should totally post your cut of Captain America, and let me know us know if do.

Road to Hell looks great. I'll keep my ears open for more news as they become available.

Cheers,

Casey

Keanu Banderas said...

Nice, the man himself giving a nod! Thanks Albert, I imitated your rendition of Captain America in many a make believe battle when I was a kid. Regardless of the amount of budget you might have made the movie with, you had the shield and the suit, and Red Skull was sufficiently gory looking. A little imagination did the rest!