Tuesday, September 9, 2008

EcoSaber? Really?


I was over at /film this morning where they were featuring this hip little tee under their "Cool Stuff" post of the day. As I was looking at it, I had mixed feelings. Is this cool? The Obama supporter in me wants to say yes. Yay to energy efficiency! Yet, the Star Wars fan in me is conflicted, and I'm not sure why.

I think it has to do with the fact that the lightsaber is sacred to me, a symbol not to be tampered with. For my birthday one time, my friend Sean made me a lightsaber out of a plumbing material (piping, nuts, etc). It's freaking sweet. I don't have to keep a bat in my house because I know I can mess up an intruder with my lightsaber if needed. Of course, it doesn't work (refer to our previous discussion on working lightsabers and such), but that isn't the point. It is a pure symbol. It's pure badassery.

Then again, maybe I'm being too hard on this shirt. It is clever, and it will likely make money, which is really the point. I guess that more than anything this shirt makes me realizes that I should be able to get over my boyish dreams of becoming a Jedi and man up to maybe more important things in life (like global warming?). In fact, maybe this shirt is the perfect way for me to show what's important to me and at the same time display my love of sci-fi action?

I don't know. Maybe it's the color.

No comments: